Wednesday, June 17, 2015

So much to do

Built my first true worm bin.  Prior to this, I only had compost piles that were occasionally visited by an unknown species of little epigeic worms.  Filled it with cardboard and added some fermented vegetable matter, mixed with landscape waste and a little something I call worm maximizer.  It's an experimental mix of oyster shell flour and some other stuff that should help to balance the pH of the bin, increase reproduction of the worms, reduce insect activity and eventually improve the quality of the castings.  I'm pretty excited about it.

Preparing to build a second box.  The population of worms that I am working with is fairly small, so it could take a few weeks before they are really rolling, but they seem healthy and active and it gives me some time to learn about agricultural residues that may be available in this area.

There are many sources around here for near rotting produce.  It really only costs fuel and time to drive around and find the stuff.  Most business owners are happy to give you their wet garbage, probably because they usually have to pay to get rid of it.

I need to get my truck running.  The timing is really messed up and I am not sure why.  It may be that the timing sprockets are misaligned.  If that's the case, it's not a big deal, but it does mean that I need to take apart the engine, which takes a lot of time for an idiot like me.  I have to put every little screw, nut and bolt into a separate place in an egg carton, and take constant pictures, so I can remember exactly where everything belongs.  It's tedious and time consuming and its the only way to get it done right.  It's a good thing that I enjoy working on my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment